Parkinson’s disease causes a wide variety of challenges and symptoms that can put your aging parents at risk. Mobility issues such as compromised gate, freezing, tremors, and dizziness can cause your parent to stumble, trip, or fall. They can also experience potentially hazardous situations due to other limitations such as shaking or weakness.Elder Care Matthews NC – Home Safety Tips for a Senior with Parkinson’s Disease
As a family caregiver, you can help them to stay safer, increase their confidence, and support greater independence by making meaningful modifications to their home. Some simple changes can create a safer and more accessible environment for them so they can enjoy a greater quality of life as they progress through the disease.
Use these tips to help create a safer, more accessible environment in your elder parents home as they deal with Parkinson’s disease:
- Make sure that your parents home is equipped with stable, non-skid surfaces on the flooring.
- Remove any pieces of furniture that swivel, slide, or are lightweight to the point that they could tip or fall over if your parent uses it for stability.
- Ensure that there is adequate lighting throughout the house to eliminate shadows or darker areas that can be confusing or conceal potential hazards.
- Remove any potential tripping hazards from walkways, including loose floor coverings, electrical wires, and decorative items.
- Make sure that walkways are wide enough for your parent to navigate safely and comfortably without having to maneuver around items or tight corners. Keep in mind that your elder may need to use a mobility aid and it is important that the walkways are wide enough to accommodate this aid without it getting caught on anything.
If you have been looking for a way to enhance your aging loved ones quality of life as they age in place, now may be the ideal time for you to start elder care for them. An elder home care services provider can be with your aging parent on a schedule that is appropriate and not just for their needs, but also for the level of care that you give to them on a regular basis.
This means that their needs, challenges, and limitations will be handled in the way that is right for them while also keeping you at the forefront of their care routine. Highly personalized services tailored to their specific needs can include safe and reliable transportation, assistance with activities of daily living, mobility support, help with personal care tasks such as bathing and toileting, meal preparation, medication reminders, and more.
These elder care services can be reassuring for your aging parent as well as for you as their family caregiver. Through these services you can feel confident your parent will have everything that they need while you are also able to focus energy and attention on other aspects of your life.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Elder Care Services in Matthews NC, please call the professional staff at Caring at Heart today at (704) 379-7510. Serving Charlotte, Statesville, Ballantyne, Mooresville, Huntersville, Matthews, Concord, Gastonia, Pineville and Indian Trail.
- How to Help Your Elderly Loved One Sleep Better at Night - September 8, 2020
- Practical Tips to Help Your Elderly Loved One Improve Their Heart Health - August 17, 2020
- Do You Need Tips for Managing Life as a Long-distance Caregiver? - August 3, 2020