Elderly Care in Ballantyne, NC – Spend this February 14th Showing Your Senior How Important They Are
A day like Valentine’s Day can be bittersweet for the elderly senior, especially if they have lost their spouse or loved one. This holiday is designed with lovers in mind but it’s equally applicable to families too. Browse through the following list of ideas and see if you can find something to spark the interest of your senior loved one for a special Valentine’s Day celebration.
- Take her down memory lane with a vintage movie. Since February is also Fabulous Florida Strawberry month, prepare some chocolate-dipped strawberries to snack on while watching the movie. Invite some other family members to make it even more special.
- Teach him how to take a selfie, encourage him to be a little goofy, and pose with unusual objects or against an unusual background. Take photos of other friends and family members in attendance of this Valentine’s Day celebration, and then print off all the pictures. Use heart stickers and other fun crafty things to do some scrapbook pages with the pictures. He will treasure these for a long time to come.
- Set the table for a fancy tea, plan some bistro-style snacks, and bring in a keyboard or other musical instrument and someone who can play it, invite a few guests and have a little tea and dance. This would be fun for all ages.
- Give a love coupon book for a gift. Cut out some papers the same size, write a different coupon on each one, make a cute cover and staple them together at the side. To make it easy for her to tear one out at a time, use a sewing machine with no thread in it and run the papers under the needle while the machine is running, about 1 inch away from the left edge of the paper. It will make little perforations all along the side. Staple the papers together ½ inch from the left edge so the perforations are showing. On each coupon, write things like “Good for one big, long hug”, “Good for one lunch out to your favorite place”, “Good for 2 hours of visiting” and so on. You could really have fun with this idea. Make sure you are willing and able to deliver on each one.
- Arrange him to meet with some of his friends at their favorite coffee shop. Help arrange rides for his friends as well, so transportation isn’t an issue for anyone. This will really brighten his day and help him feel loved.
Does your senior loved one need some help with personal care, home care or remembering to take her vitamins? Does he need a ride to his doctor’s appointments? Do you worry about him eating nutritious meals? Does she get too lonely? It may be time to hire elder care services. A trained and loving caregiver can look after your elderly parent’s needs.